Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: Object ID format

On 21.01.2016 15:51:01, John Anderson wrote:

> I agree with this thought: "Threat intel is less than worthless if
> your adversary knows what you know." I'm not suggesting we put all
> our Resources in the clear with no Authorization/Authentication.
> That would indeed be stupid.

Hey, John -

Apologies, obviously I misread you. Your line about "And maybe even
let Google index some of them!" threw me off.

> So, about "Wholesale webification of CTI is no panacea."...yes and
> no. Sure, the Web is no panacea. BUT...It would be unbelievably
> freeing to have a URL for every Object. Then, if you want to know
> more, just browse to it! (Assuming the publisher's server is
> accessible to you.)

I'm totally fine with URLs as object IDs, provided they use UUIDs and
the object<->URL mapping is immutable. Cf. the write-up I did on
precisely this point as part of the TAXII Query prototype, along with
the knock-on implications for object versioning [1].

I'm *not* sold on the idea that we can do away with TAXII entirely by
being exceedingly clever with HTTP headers and Apache configs. Perhaps
I'm again misinterpreting your position (and if so, please correct me,
John!)

[0]: https://taxiiproject.github.io/taxii2/notional-query-api/#immutability-of-objects-under-a-url-based-object-id-scheme
[1]: https://taxiiproject.github.io/taxii2/notional-query-api/#implications-for-object-versioning

--