Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Object ID format

The content may be relevant, current, and not at the URL published in the STIX document. For example, something could have a URI pointing to redcliffconsulting.com. Oops, that is mandiant.com. Oops, that is fireeye.com. So, the data might be important, available, but not at the same URI it lived at when it was published.

That is why URI’s are either URL’s (with the location) and URN’s (just the name). I could see where we just specify STIX includes a URI, and the choice of a URL or URN is up to the sharing community. I could see large, long-lived communities standing up a URN directory resolver. I could see ad hoc and smaller communities leverage the ease of a URL.

I.e., let’s have our cake and eat it too. Note this does not violate Eric’s Law™: pick one and only one way of doing something. The one and only one way is a URI. It just happens the URI can be a URN.