Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX MVP

Hey all,

Just as a reminder to respond on this if you haven’t already…as of now, we only have 8 responses. The plan was to discuss it on the call tomorrow so the more people that respond the better.

Just fill out the form below with an X and reply either to the list or to me. Also, if you don’t understand a row, feel free to skip it and we can discuss it on the call.

John

---

Capability

2.0

2.x

Never

Relationships

Standardized Relationships

Relationships pre-defined in STIX

User-Defined Relationships

Ability to use relationships that were not pre-defined in STIX

Indicator Use Cases

Indicators

Basic indicator object

CybOX Indicator Patterns

Use of "native" CybOX patterning for indicator patterns

Third-Party Indicator Patterns

Use of Snort, Yara, OpenIOC, and other signature formats as patterns

Sightings

Ability to create and share sightings of indicators, however it's done

Incident Use Cases

Incident Basics

Just the basics needed to track incidents

Asset Stub

A stub of an asset model, abstracted out of Incident, likely a pointer

Complete Asset Model

A more complete asset model that defines many fields

Advanced Incident

Impacts, detailed analytics, etc.

"Investigation" (pre-incident)

Something to track "events", "investigations", and other activity that may not be an incident yet.

Analysis Objects

Attack Patterns

See STIX 1.2 AttackPatternType

Exploits

See STIX 1.2 ExploitType (note: NOT ExploitTargetType)

Kill Chains

See STIX 1.2 KillChainType and KillChainPhaseType

Malicious Infrastructure

See STIX 1.2 InfrastructureType

Malicious Tool

See STIX 1.2 ToolType

Malware

See STIX 1.2 MalwareType

Persona

See STIX 1.2 PersonasType (was just an identity)

Victim Targeting

See STIX 1.2 VictimTargetingType

Configuration/Misconfiguration

See STIX 1.2 ConfigurationType

Vulnerability

See STIX 1.2 VulnerabilityType

Weakness

See STIX 1.2 WeaknessType

Attribution & Tracking

Threat Actor

See STIX 1.2 ThreatActorType

Campaign

See STIX 1.2 CampaignType

Intrusion Set

Representation of intrusion sets, separate from actors and campaigns

Response Actions

Course of Action

See STIX 1.2 CourseOfActionType

Automated Course of Action

Structured representation for automating courses of action

Data Markings

Object-Level Markings

Markings applied to a complete top-level object (Level 1 Markings)

Field-Level Markings

Markings applied to individual fields within objects (Level 2 Markings)

TLP Marking Definition

Representation of a TLP marking

Copyright/TOU Marking Definition

Representation of Copyright/TOU markings

Consensus "STIX Default" Marking Definition

Representation of a more complete, consensus, "better than TLP" marking

Cross-Cutting Capabilities

Packaging around TLOs (Package object)

STIX "package" object, whatever that turns into

Reports

Report object

Internationalization

Support for STIX content in multiple languages/localizations

Basic Identity

Small set of critical properties

Full Identity

Extensive identity representation, similar to CIQ

References/Sources

References to non-STIX content and information sources

Defensive Tools

Representation of information about tools used for defense or to create content.

Rich Text

HTML, Markdown, or some other rich text format for descriptions

Versioning

Ability to version and revoke content

Vendor-Defined Fields

Definition and conformance for how vendors can extend STIX

Representing Confidence

Representation of confidence in the accuracy of information

Representing Impact / Potential Impact

Representations of actual or potential impact of threats (e.g. for malware)

Custom Vocabularies

Ability to use custom (non-standard) vocabularies in places we have standard vocabularies defined

Opinion/Assert Object

Ability to represent opinions / assertions about STIX content created by others

STIX Request/Response

Generic Tagging

Ability to tag STIX top-level objects with generic text