Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Question on Sightings Proposal and Cybox Observations

1) Not a fan of using confidence for #1. Wouldn’t you be saying that you have a low confidence that something is strange (when you are pretty sure that it’s strange). Almost feels as if a sighting is more appropriate, followed by some sort of product workflow outside of STIX. For example, an analyst places strange sightings into an “investigate this bucket” within the tool.
2) This is a fairly standard issue within sharing communities. It’s possible that  we need to investigate adding Requests For Information (RFI) within STIX or TAXII.
3) My response is fairly simple. Create a new indicator based on the pattern, and create a sighting. The fact you are “seeing this as well” should be done with tools that understand what to do with indicators and sightings.
4) Sightings or Opinion object
5) Sightings or Opinion object

Jason, your #4 and #5 questions concern me the most. If you are having issues identifying this functionality from our existing sightings/opinion documentation then I tend to blame our documentation, or a lack thereof.

Aharon

From: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM
To: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

What do you think about using a low-confidence indicator for #1 and #2?

I also noticed that there’s a lot of workflow stuff in those use cases…implicit request from SOC to TI cell to do something, explicit request for sightings, explicit request to create an indicator, explicit +1 of indicator patterns (not necessarily a sighting I assume?). A lot of that stuff is definitely not covered now.