Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX, Topics to Review, 10 May

To clarify on the process side: text that we move from “review” to “draft” can still have _non-substantive_, editor changes made to it. In other words, wordsmithing and making things clearer is allowed. Changing the meaning of the text or how it works for implementors would require moving the text back to previous phases. The editors will determine what we consider editorial changes, there are no hard and fast rules.

I’m going to split custom properties into a separate e-mail.

John

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
Date: Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:57 AM
To: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I have reviewed the text.

I would like to clarify one thing – my does my non-objection mean that the text is “good enough”, but can still change a bit in the future? I view the text as good enough, but I have enough presentation/editorial comments that I wouldn’t consider the text “final”. As long as the text can still change (without changing spirit/intent), I’m happy to offer a non-objection.

Timestamp/Timestamp Precision
I have no objections to the content, and made some comments on presentation.

Identifier
I’m not sure what’s going on with the Version 4/5 UUIDs. I would object to this being marked “good enough” because of the ambiguity.  That said, the current text is not that far away from something I wouldn’t object to. (Is this superseded by the existing ballot)

Custom Properties
I have thought about this some more, and I’d like to object to the “x_” structure. Eric’s messages caused me to dig deeper and discover an entire RFC devoted to this topic (!!!) [1]. The thing is 9 pages long so just go read it :). Basically, I’ve been convinced that the approach laid out in RFC 6648 is the correct approach and that we should follow it.

This is a non-objection, but I think the narrative should be changed a bit (comment made in the doc); I also think we’ll want to fine-tune some of the normative text.

IDs & References
No objections, I do think terminology could be improved.

Versioning
No objections, I do think there are a number of editorial changes that could be made to improve clarity. However, I would like to hold off on those while we write the rest of the document (I.e., I don’t want to spend time perfecting one small part at the expense of getting other parts to “good enough”).

Package/Bundle
I would like to see a workflow or two identified where bundle is used. No objections, however.

Thank you.
-Mark