Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Custom properties

Jason Keirstead wrote this message on Tue, May 17, 2016 at 16:17 -0300:
> I am still not sure of this "domain name" syntax. Say IBM and Newcontext

I think that's partly why it's a SHOULD now, and not a must...

> and LookingGlass all get in a room and decide in our secret-squirrel-club
> that we will all support the "uber" property for indicators.  Whose domain
> name do we prefix it with? Is it a fight to the death? IMO this is a very

Part of having one domain is that you'd at least (hopefully) know who to
talk to if you received a document w/ it in it and want to try to use it...

It was also added as a way to try to prevent duplication, where two different
companies w/o talking to each other added x_decay, and now you have a
conflict...

> important question because in reality, this is how custom properties will
> very often be used. A couple of vendors will want to inter-operate on some
> level that is not yet part of the standard, and won't want or have the
> ability to wait for it to be standardized.

If they can't agree on which domain name, (or register a new one for
branding), I doubt that the collaboration will last that long.. :)

> I don't really see how this RFC proposes this problem be solved. The RFC
> seems to presume it is always some single entity in isolation coming up
> with a new HTTP header or whatnot; this is rarely the case because why
> would a vendor care about registering something that they only use
> internally? If I am only using a parameter internally then this whole train

The RFC is a first come, first serve...  If I'm the first one to register
decay, then I get to define it my way.. and if someone else wants decay,
they'll have to pick another name, like decay1, or decay_rate, etc.

This also means that if a registry is used, that if we want to be forwards
compatible (2.0 docs work w/o modification on 2.1), that we won't be able
to repurpose any fields that are registered, which restricts what the TC
can do in the future...

> of thought is irrelevant because at the end of the day I wouldn't  even
> care about standards compliance at all (IE if I am only talking to myself,
> I would not care if I was using "compliant STIX" over that channel.
> Compliance only matters when you're talking to others).

Exactly...  If you're using it internally, you probably aren't using STIX
to pass the information around... STIX in an inter-product or
inter-organization exchange format...