Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Finalizing the indicator labels vocab

My Thoughts:

1. I quite like adding the VERIS enumerations. They have experience of classifying data over the last 6 years or so, and their list has been proven to cover the majority of actions. I see the list as far longer, as the actions are divided into 7 sections - Malware, Hacking, Social Engineering, Misuse, Error, Environmental, Physical - each with its own list of actions. While not all sections would be useful (i.e. physical and environmental), the rest could well be. Some I could envisage 'Social Engineering - Spam' being useful, as is 'Hacking - DoS', and 'Malware - Ransomware'.

2. Not sure about this. Need more info really.

3. I'm not sure about 'attribution'. in fact Indicator Labels themselves seem a bit odd. The label field is effectively a small cut down, embedded version of an Attack Pattern object. I would rather see the Indicator Label removed, and instead people use the Attack Pattern object to describe what action (Attack Pattern) the Indicator is describing.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer