Subject: Re: [cti-stix] external-references keywords

I would agree with John. I would like to see a separate ID and URL.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Wunder, John A. <jwunder@mitre.org> wrote:

Hm, not sure about this. I like having a separate URL and ID field as Rich has outlined it…that way you can provide both the URL and the ID, in particular for cases where you might not be able to automatically built the URL from the ID. Or in cases where the consumers want to show or pivot on the ID but still be able to link to the URL (his second example).

From: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 2:01 PM
To: Rich Piazza <rpiazza@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Rich – I think external_id and url can be combined into a single attribute “ref” or similar.

Source could be an ov.

allan

From: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Piazza, Rich" <rpiazza@mitre.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 10:43 AM
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [cti-stix] external-references keywords

Hi everyone,

I think these four keywords would cover all of the external reference details.  I’ve including some examples below.  Can anyone think of some external reference that couldn’t be specified using these keywords?

                Rich

external_references: array of {

                description : string

                external_id: string

                source: ov?

                url: url

}

Any combination is legal

Examples:

CAPEC:

[ { “source”: “capec”, “external_id”: “capec-550” } ]

CAPEC with URL

[ { “source”: “capec”, “external_id”: “capec-550”, “url”:  “http://capec.mitre.org/data/definitions/550.html”} ]

APT1:

[{ “description”: “APT1 report”, “url”: “http://intelreport.mandiant.com/Mandiant_APT1_Report.pdf”}]

VERIS:

[{“source”: “veris”, “external_id”: “00C84D6A-CDB8-4A5B-A1A6-0D75A65274D7”}]

Jira:

[{“source”: “jira”, “external_id”: “TAB-1370”, “url”: “https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TAB-1370”}]