Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Including Incident and Assets in STIX MVP

I can think of a couple reasons to have incident in STIX:

1.       US-CERT is using STIX to support reporting of incidents from federal departments and agencies to DHS. Other organizations responsible for incident reporting/tracking might appreciate having a consistent data standard to use that’s integrated into the rest of the STIX ecosystem. I know of several mandatory and optional incident reporting systems like this.

2.       Tracking of campaigns and intrusion sets relies on tracking the incidents that make up those campaigns and intrusion sets

3.       While one use case of STIX is for the sharing of information between organizations, another important use case is between tools within the same organization. While MITRE probably wouldn’t share most of our incidents with the outside world (with the exception of the reporting in #1) it would be nice if our incident tracking systems could be integrated into the rest of our threat intelligence infrastructure (via STIX).

I don’t think it’s reasonable for us to solve STIX incident and asset for MVP. OTOH I think it would be a good idea to lay some groundwork so we can build on it for 2.1, so IMO we should focus on the bare minimums here:

-          Basic information like title and description

-          Defined relationships to other TLOs (campaigns, targets, etc.)

-          Categorization

-          External IDs, which will be critical for both incident and asset. Luckily, if they’re TLOs then we get that for free.

I think we should explicitly scope out impact and severity information from incident (as we’ve done the same for indicator) and definitional information about asset (which can be captured by other languages). Then for 2.1 we can do some coordination with VERIS and maybe some asset data standards to figure out how to expand them to make them more useful for analysis.

John