Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Object Level Markings

Yes thanks Dave, this clarifies a lot.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Dave Cridland ---06/14/2016 01:51:41 PM---Jason, Yes, if we were sending that kind of information it Dave Cridland ---06/14/2016 01:51:41 PM---Jason, Yes, if we were sending that kind of information it would be insane.

From: Dave Cridland <dave.cridland@surevine.com>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 06/14/2016 01:51 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Jason,

Yes, if we were sending that kind of information it would be insane.

There's three items of information associated with the access control decision:

* The Label, which in your example was "NATO SECRET". In NATO's preferred syntax, that's actually a shortish bit of XML, usually around half a kilobyte.
* The Clearance, which a guard would typically have as a constant value, and an endpoint would handle via LDAP lookups, etc.
* The Policy, which actually defines the rules, and again, for NATO, would be XML - but much larger. NATO's policy is 86k, for instance.

The part I'm suggesting needs to be kept with the data is only the first of these, the label. An example label, in NATO's ADatP-4774 format, is here:

https://github.com/surevine/spiffing/blob/stanag-4774/test-data/nato-4774-17-1.nato

That repository also has (MIT-licensed) code that'll produce a display marking from it (in this case "NATO UNCLASSIFIED Releasable to ISAF, KFOR, RESOLUTE SUPPORT"), which it does from the policy information file, which is similar to that available here in Open XML SPIF format:

https://github.com/surevine/spiffing/blob/stanag-4774/test-data/nato-4774-policy.xml

We won't be sending around the policy - we expect anything that needs that to have it already. Similarly, clearances make no sense to send around at all - they'd be selected and evaluated locally in every case.

But typical specifications for this require that the label metadata is "bound" with the data, for example in X.841 §6.1.3, or ADatP-4778.

I'm proposing that in order to side-step the need for cryptographic binding at the object level, we must at minimum keep the label metadata within the same bundle, and rely on the TLS channel to provide hop-by-hop integrity, and claiming we're doing X.841§6.1.3.1. That's really the minimum I think I can get past an accreditor.

Does this help clarify a little?

Dave.