Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: Reviewing External-Reference

So here’s some thoughts. Obviously some of these will be more common (malware, report, COA) than others (Sighting, Observation) but it seems valuable to me to have this consistently available.

As the overarching use cases:

-          Sources for information (URLs to non-STIX reports, URLs to forum posts, etc.)

-          IDs for the concept in non-STIX databases (or databases where the primary ID is not a STIX ID)

-          IDs for the concept in external content libraries (CAPEC, CVE)

More specifically:

Campaign – Sources

Course of Action – ID for COA in a COA database (SANS top 25, OWASP top 10)

Identity – HSPD7 sector ID, or other external IDs for identities

Indicator – local ID for indicator (e.g. alert #)

Malware – Antivirus names

Marking Definition – the FIRST IEP has an ID field that might not be compatible with STIX, might want to represent that. Dave Cridland also talked about referencing some existing policies by ID (that might not be a STIX ID)

Observation – Probably more rare given these are so automated, but we did have a ticket for this in 1.2.

Relationship – Also probably more rare, but when we talked about this as a TLO it was mentioned that it could be used to reference sources, which would be important for relationship assertions

Report – URL to PDF version of the report, a local ID for the report (i.e. US-CERT JIB number)

Sighting – maybe not common for most indicator sightings, but for sightings of things like campaigns or malware (which is permitted) you might have either a case number (assuming you don’t create a full-blown STIX incident) or tags for the alert in the system that originally issued it (things coming from SIEMs)

Threat Actor – TA tracking codenames

John