Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX MVP Priorities

Issue there is that different things are mixed up.
- Things related to the domain information (or UML (or data)) model

Here the hierarchy (Class Tree) between the Concepts (Objects) seems
still not commonly understood by all members of the TC.

e.g.: Identity vs Threat Actor, Identity vs Asset, Asset vs Target...
e.g.: Identity vs Party, Person, Organization (Enterprise*) like in
OASIS CIQ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDXL#Customer_Information_Quality
(note a reference to NIEM* i.e. nc:PersonType)

Maybe a simple formulation, triples-like, (and referenced somewhere)
could help (for abstraction, a (potentially visual) hierarchy, class
tree, or simplistic ontology...)
e.g.:
An Organization is an Identity
A Person is an Identity
A Threat Actor is an Identity
or
A Threat Actor is an Organization or a Person
A Person is an Asset for an Organization
A Target is an Organization or Asset (or group of Assets)
(so a Person could be a Target since a Person is an Asset)
or
An Asset in the CTI domain is always an IT-Asset

An Incident affects an Organization, a Person or an Asset

A Malware is a Tool
A Malware is an Asset of a Threat Actor
A Tool could be an Asset of an Organization or Person

A Report is produced by an Identity
An Indicator is produced by an Identity
An Intrusion Set is produced by an Identity
An Observation is produced by an Identity
An Observation involves one or more Asset(s)
An Observation produces one or more Indicator(s)
A Sighting is produced by an Identity on an Observation

A Malicious Infrastructure is a group of Assets used by one or more
Threat Actor(s)

(Please correct)
An Intrusion Set is a group of Indicators
or
An Intrusion Set is a group of TTPs

- Things related to the Associations* (Relationships)

e.g.: Observation, Indicator, Intrusion Set, Infrastructure

- Things related to the exchange of information

Internationalization (string language [RFC3066] in OASIS EDXL, and in
(Please review!)
https://github.com/json-schema/json-schema/wiki/translations-(v5-proposal)
)
Sighting
(Granular) Data Markings

For each of these elements, IMHO, different skill sets/experience are required.
For example, I would see benefits having:
- Modeling SMEs (Subject Matter Experts)
- CTI Domain SMEs (e.g. Strategists, Analysts, CTI operations practitioners)
- Architecture, Product Design and Development/Coding SMEs

I think we would avoid friction going this way.
Everybody would still be involved, but dispatching the work, with the
(identified) SMEs discussing their domain first between them, before
submitting work for review by the other SMEs (i.e. as a top-down
approach) could be, IMHO, more efficient use of our resources.