Subject: Removing normative text on key length from Custom Properties

All,

One of the ballots we had recently was whether or not we should have normative text in STIX limiting the lengths of string fields. The results of that ballot were that the normative statements should be removed.

In reviewing the Custom Properties section, we discovered a few statements that – depending on interpretation – might count as normative statements on string length. Specifically:

·         Custom Property keys SHOULD be no longer than 30 characters in length.

·         Custom Property keys MUST have a minimum length of 3 characters.

·         Custom Property keys MUST be no longer than 256 characters in length.

Though these are talking about keys rather than properties, it seems to fit the spirit of the ballot to remove these statements because they deal with the length of text strings. If no one has any objections, we’ll go ahead and remove them.

John