Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Kill Chains in STIX

(late :p)
I concur that a central registry approach would guarantee some level of Interoperability, while "open custom free-to-put-anything-in vocabularies" would not benefit The Community.
"Vendors" could come with (and push for) their own Controlled Vocabularies (for review, extension, improvement...) but a standard must not be created to accommodate existing products or marketing leitmotiv.

As an alien... I hope that "the transition of the -IANA- function to the global multi-stakeholder community" [1] could favorite (and hopefully simplify) this approach.
(No Interoperability; No Automation; No Optimization; No High Maturity)

[1] https://www.ourinternet.org/report

<snip>
I am coming around to the idea of us needing a central registry of common objects for a multitude of reasons, and that central registry makes it easier to implement Option 1. The central registry of common objects would allow:
  • Controlled Vocabularies to be specified
  • Attack Pattern Objects to be created for each CAPEC entry so we can pivot from common object IDs
  • Allow for a common Vulnerability objects to be created for each CVE number that's issued
  • Allow for common Kill chain and Kill chain phase objects to be shared across platforms
and probably others I haven't thought of. I'm thinking its an idea we might need to entertain.....

Cheers

Terry MacDonald | Chief Product Officer