Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Labels on STIX TLOs

Wunder, John A. wrote this message on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 15:23 +0000:
> All,
>
> One of the topics that came up across several items on the call yesterday was the “labels” field that currently exists on Indicator, Malware, and Tool. The field is an array of values from an open vocabulary (indicator-label-ov, malware-label-ov, and tool-label-ov respectively).
>
> We have a couple of open questions:
>

> 1.       Should the labels field be required or optional?

optional...

> a.       If we make labels required, do we need to add a value of “other” to the vocabulary? This will help tools/users who can’t find an existing value in the vocabulary that works but don’t want to make one up.

This is only needed if required and it's required that the length
is >= 1.  I'm not a fan of other, especially if it's an open vocab..

> 2.       Which TLOs need the labels field? It’s on Indicator, Malware, and Tool now but has not been added to Campaign or Attack Pattern.
>
> a.       Allan has suggested adding it across all top-level objects. Does that make sense, or should we consider it on a case-by-case basis?

I think adding it across the board is fine...  It makes handling the
TLO's easier, and more consistent, and I can see most of the TLO's
using them...  I don't have a strong preference though...

--
John-Mark