Subject: version_comment field

Hey everyone,

Back when we talked about versioning at the DC3 F2F, one of the properties we added to STIX Object common properties was “version_comment”. The intent was to allow people to add a comment saying why they created a particular version (e.g. “fixed a typo” or “corrected domain” or something like that). The property is optional on all STIX Objects.

As we’ve been going through the properties though we started to wonder if version_comment would really be used in practice. Is that something that existing TIPS and other tools actually populate? Or would populate if they had such a field? We want to be careful not to add fields just because we think they might be useful…it’s easy enough to add things in 2.1 if we find we need them, it’s a lot harder to take things away.

So what do you think? Should we keep the version_comment field for STIX 2.0?

Thanks,

John