Subject: Re: [cti-stix] STIX 2.0 Specification Questions

Hi Bret, Allan,

In Cisco we’ve used the following terminology for high level actions

Investigate – obtain more information about a threat
Mitigate – block, but not eliminate, a threat
Remediate – fix or eliminate a threat

OpenC2 calls these as effects-based actions. OpenC2 also defines other categories of actions such as
  • Actions that Gather and Convey Information,
  • Actions that Control Permissions,
  • Actions that Control Activities/Devices,
  • Sensor-Related Actions,
  • Response and Alert Actions

Looking at STIX2.0 relationships, I think the high-level effects-based actions could be used as relationships of course-of-actions to the other objects.

course-of-action mitigates attack-pattern
course-of-action mitigates incident
course-of-action mitigates infrastructure
course-of-action mitigates malware
course-of-action mitigates tool

course-of-action investigates indicator
course-of-action investigates attack-pattern
course-of-action investigates incident
course-of-action investigates malware

course-of-action remediates incident

More details about OpenC2 are being formulated as a proposal which will be submitted soon.

Thanks,
Jyoti