Subject: Re: [cti-stix] [jmg@newcontext.com: Observed Data comments.]

The timestamps on Observed Data are the times the observations were made. So if a sensor is “observing” the network connection the time the connection is initiated is the first_observed and the time the connection is closed is the last_observed. So they would likely be the same as the network connection timestamps in the case of a single observation of a network connection.

How do you think it should work?

From: Bret Jordan <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 4:56 PM
To: "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Cc: John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

For network-connection though, there are time fields in CybOX land.  So how do those relate to the time stamps in the Observed Data object.???

Bret Jordan CISSP

Blue Coat Systems

On Aug 30, 2016, at 14:28, Wunder, John A. <jwunder@mitre.org> wrote:

When we push a specification for public review we’ll need to reformat it the OASIS templates, and IMO we probably should have another vote to approve that anyway since it has an additional conformance section. So I feel like we could do that reformat, make any changes we identify and explicitly call them out, then vote to approve that. Gary Katz also had some suggestions, though more minor.

On the issues themselves:

-          The reason first_observed and last_observed might be a range if the count=1 is for events that are not atomic. A network connection might be open for minutes or even hours, so a point time that it was observed may not make sense. So I don’t think we should have a requirement that they be the same when the count is one.

-          I would be fine making count optional and defaulting to 1. I’m also fine as-is, would like to hear from more people about whether we should change this.

John