Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Relationship name tweaks - attributed-to

So we currently use the following relationships.  This is just how we are currently capturing things.  To Jane's point, depending on the fidelity of analysis performed by an organization, they may wish to capture things differently.

Intrusion Set -> ATTRIBUTED TO -> Person
Intrusion Set -> ATTRIBUTED TO -> Organization
Intrusion Set -> PLANS -> Campaign
Intrusion Set -> EXECUTES ->Campaign

Hope this helps,
    -Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: cti-stix-publicmirror@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:cti-stix-publicmirror@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Coderre, Robert
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:33 AM
To: cti-stix-publicmirror@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

I agree with Jane here, in that as described each relationship type can have very specific,  nuanced meanings. That does convey richer information, but as noted elsewhere, can cause problems from an MRTI perspective.  In our graph model for our product, we have multiple relationship types and these are specific and constrained for different object types by schema rules. That works well for us and keeps our data consistent, but I would not necessarily push that onto a larger community.

I am more in favor of a single relationship type ("attributed-to"), with a label to convey additional detail. However, I would have an open vocabulary that predefines most of the relationship types so we can have consistency and better interoperability. It can be extensible, as we do for other vocabs, but the base options should be enumerated.

Rob

--
Rob Coderre
iDefense, Director of Product Management