Subject: Re: Patterning for Course of Actions

Jyoti, et all,

That could be very interesting and neat.  I really hope that we can decide to adopt OpenC2's automated course-of-action work in to the STIX COA object.

Bret

From: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jyoti Verma (jyoverma) <jyoverma@cisco.com>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 12:48:06 PM
To: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [cti-stix] Patterning for Course of Actions

I went through the latest Cybox patterning documentation and really like how its come together. The concept of patterning can apply to other objects as well and I’d like to bring up this topic for discussion here.

I see a specific need for this in the case of Courses of actions where you might want to apply certain conditional logic on the execution of actions. This is best illustrated with the following examples:
  1. Action B should be executed after action A completes successfully
  2. Action A should be executed in parallel with action B
  3. Action C should be executed after a certain duration of A and B completing
Is the patterning model extensible to realize these conditions?

Thanks,
Jyoti