Subject: Internationalization proposal

All,

We’ve been doing a bit of work on how internationalization should work on Slack since talking about it at the face to face. At this point we have some draft normative text that we’re hoping to get feedback on: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15qD9KBQcVcY4FlG9n_VGhqacaeiLlNcQ7zVEjc8I3b4/edit#heading=h.uafv8bpqcrm6

This approach should cover the important use cases we’ve mentioned previously while at the same time avoiding burdening single-language content with a lot of extra markup. Cases we’ve considered are:

1.       Intel provider provides content in a single language (not necessarily English).

2.       Intel provider provides content in multiple languages at the time of publication.

3.       Third-party provides translations of another party’s content.

4.       Intel provider provides content where some fields in an object are one language and other fields are a different language.

The approach is to define a “language-content” object (we avoided using “translation” because there may be some sensitive to having a primary language in some cases) that can point to other STIX Objects. The language-content object can contain additional language content for fields in the target object by specifying a map of fields to language codes to translatable strings.

To support item #4 above, we leveraged the existing granular markings structure. That avoids having entirely new capabilities in the language and ideally means we’ll see more support for the capability.

Please review the proposal above and let us know what you think either over e-mail or in the Slack #i18n channel.

Thanks!

John