Subject: Re: [EXT] [cti-stix] RE: [iep-sig] [cti-stix] RE: STIX 2.1: Adding IEP Framework to STIX 2.1

It was not a demand.  It was a question.  Sorry if it came across that way.  I did also bring this up back when IEPv1 first came out.

The problem with using a dash for property names is, as you know, various programming languages have a really hard dealing with it.  Some will require that you map them to different names in your code.

If IEP is embedded or externally referenced, the problem still remains.  A STIX processor will need to know how to consume it and deal with it.  If we do hand waving and say that it is just some arbitrary extension point, then I think you will get a mix of people that support it and ones that do not.

What happens if you send a STIX object to someone that can not understand or parse IEP data because it is not defined in STIX?  I mean, if we can not write a conformance clause for it, there is no guarantee that people will be able to interoperate with it.

Personally I really dislike arbitrary extension points for who knows what content, especially when that content is critical to the use and understanding on the data.  So if STIX is going to provide support for IEP, then I think it should provide support for it and callout exactly how it will be used.  This will allow us to write conformance clauses for it and make sure interoperability can build tests for it.

Bret

From: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:42:57 PM
To: Bret Jordan
Cc: Jason Keirstead; cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org; Merike Kaeo; Carothers, Matt (CCI-Atlanta); Paul Patrick; Millar, Thomas; iep-sig@first.org; Andrew Storms; Richard Struse; Patrick Maroney

Hi Bret,

That response almost sounds like a demand, although I'm sure it wasn't intended.

We can make changes, but the important point is that the IEP Data marking object embeds or refers to the IEP. The IEP theoretically can be in whatever the JSON IEP format is (it's a sister standard).

IEP v1 used the same naming as we provided. Changing the formatting in IEP v2 is possible, but it would impact existing implementations of IEP v1. That said, as MISP is the only implementation of IEP v1 we know of, perhaps we can make this change without to much impact.

I will raise this with the IEP-SIG co-chairs and get back to you ASAP. I am in favour of renaming as it will simplify developers lives.

Cheers
Terry MacDonald
Cosive