Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [EXT] [cti-stix] RE: [iep-sig] [cti-stix] RE: STIX 2.1: Adding IEP Framework to STIX 2.1

Alex,

Say for example you build a struct to store the incoming JSON data.  Property names with a "-" minus character are prohibited in variable names in code, so this means you can not just unmarshal the incoming JSON and map it to your struct (the property names will not match up). To get this to work you would need to map each JSON property to a property name in the struct. Which just seems silly when you could make the JSON so much more friendly by just prohibiting a "-" dash character.

Bret

From: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Alexandre Dulaunoy <Alexandre.Dulaunoy@circl.lu>
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 4:35:31 AM
To: cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org

On 08/05/17 01:20, Bret Jordan wrote:
> It was not a demand.  It was a question.  Sorry if it came across that way.  I did also bring this up back when IEPv1 first came out.
>

> The problem with using a dash for property names is, as you know, various programming languages have a really hard dealing with it.  Some will require that you map them to different names in your code.

I still don't get the issue is there. Internal variable naming and the naming of the actual fields doesn't have to have a direct 1:1 relationship. Also, why not just use dictionaries in the first
place? I don't see how this can realistically be an issue unless it involves some dodgy software design. Could you point me to a software or library where this was an issue?

Thank you.

--
Alexandre Dulaunoy
CIRCL - Computer Incident Response Center Luxembourg