Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Typo in range of integers

I agree it has the potential to be confusing. I was just trying to recall the explanation for why it was the way it was before we went and changed anything :-)

Greg

On 2017-06-08, 6:09 PM, "John-Mark Gurney" <jmg@newcontext.com> wrote:

    Back, Greg wrote this message on Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 03:28 +0000:
    > Was it because JSON don’t have a separate integer type, so those are the max/min integers that can be represented precisely in IEEE 754?

    This is likely that case, but it's confusing to talk about a 64-bit
    value, but then define the range of a 64-bit value as a 54-bit value.
    If this is the case, we should change the wording, as it stands, the
    wording is very confusing.  Better to say that all integers must be
    represented as a signed 54-bit value.  And then add text about why,
    and that a 64-bit value for intermediate is fine, but that still means
    you need to add range checking before/after..

    --
    John-Mark