Subject: Re: [cti-stix] GeoJSON

We have an existing well defined/adopted JSON representation for GeoLocation data.  There are a variety of Open Source libraries, frameworks, et al that can consume, understand, and produce a rich representation of GeoLocation attributes.  For example Elastic Stack.

Use Case --  We had a recent use case to map the real-time spread of WannaCry from both a temporal and GeoLocation perspective.  The ability to visualize multiple overlays of geographic regions as a time-series map of ISP Endpoints, ASNs, et al, was extremely powerful and provided valuable unique insights.  We leveraged the inherent OOTB Elastic Search GeoJSON capabilities to quickly develop this time-series Kibana geo dashboard.

While not specifically in the scope of the CTI TC, the fusion of physical to cyber domains is a critical requirement to meet the underlying objectives of our endeavors.  For example, the time-series mapping of the movement and interactions of terrorist cells in the physical domain via cyber based observables (cell phones, Wifi Hotspots, Digital Video surveillance, Train/Airline Tickets) is a case in point for real-world use cases. Ever increasing Triangulation accuracy within polygonal geoloc data is the scenario.

 Throw in IoT as well.

To the extent we can exercise our due diligence (without undue impacts to our core mission statements), we should ensure we can integrate and fuse with these other Domains.

Therefore I advocate for adoption of the full representational capabilities of GeoJSON in CTI TC STIX.

Patrick Maroney
Principal Engineer - Data Science & Analytics
Wapack Labs LLC
(609)841-5104