Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Classification Proposal

Hi Nicholas;

There are two things I am trying to cover with this proposal:

- The need for an entity to classify something according to risk or severity - from 0 to 10 or 0 to 100 or whatever

- The need for an entity to classify something according to a defined ontology. For example "Anonymization", "P2P Hosting", "Spam Relay", etc. Anyone who has ever done a URL categorization is very familiar with this - we all use these categories every day. We have to be able to express this in STIX in order for threat intelligence vendors to be able to communicate their information. If all of this is done via custom properties, then it is going to greatly hamper interoperability from vendor to vendor... consuming software will have to hard-code support for certain feed vendors.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security

From:        Nicholas Hayden <nhayden@anomali.com>
To:        Alexandre Dulaunoy <Alexandre.Dulaunoy@circl.lu>
Cc:        cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        07/13/2017 02:52 PM
Sent by:        <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I would have to agree with Alexandre why couldn’t we just add a severity/risk level of 0?  I’m running into this exact same issue right now with malware analysis write ups.  Malware will drop or use ps.exe as part of its infection, this is technically part of the Malware process but the file itself is legitimate windows file.

Best Regards,
Nicholas Hayden, CISSP, GICSP, CNDA, CEH, Sec+

Director of Engineering Anomali | anomali.com
808 Winslow St Redwood City, CA 94063
Phone: (650) 257-0867 | Twitter: @anomali