Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [EXT] [cti-stix] Location, latitude/longitude, and precision

I’ve come to believe that precision should be optional.  The purist in me wants the text to say that if precision is omitted, the precision of the lat/long is unspecified.  But I’m willing to live with text that says if precision is unspecified, it defaults to 10km as John-Mark originally proposed.

From: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM
To: Mark Davidson <Mark.Davidson@nc4.com>, Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

One quick note about our current Location SDO is that lat/lng are not required. You can say “US” or “Washington, DC, US” without giving a lat/lng, for example. Precision describes specifically precision of lat/lng, though.

I’m also not sure how realistic a precision of 0 is. Even an address isn’t really precise to 0 meters, and this would mean that producers who can’t be bothered to populate precision are by default saying their lat/lng is super precise, which is probably not accurate. If we do have optional with a default, I’d suggest we go with what New Context came up with (10km) in the absence of other compelling reasons.

John