Subject: Location - Administrative_Area (RE: [cti] Groups - OASIS-CTI-TC_WorkingSession_August8_2017.pdf uploaded)

Hi,

I found the following in the minutes.

-----

Rich

I believe if we say country as a SHOULD then all will do

If we are going to entertain Ryus suggestion for ISO codes for Admin areas

that is A separate issue. That is a big corpus of data

-----

It (ISO codes for Aministrative_Area) is a current requirement

of AIS STIX (AIS STIX Profile p. 29 -

https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/ais_files/AIS_Submission_Guidance_Appendix_A.pdf)

for STIX 1.1.

My suggestion is to keep it for STIX 2.x when there is Administrative_Area

in the STIX. Textual address can be in the Street_Address and other

fields. If it is in ISO 3166-2 (and there is no problem using ISO in the STIX

standard), then it should be a great source of useful semantics for

CTI consumers to determine how relevant the CTI is for them.

(I learned this from ISACers at the Cybersecurity Standards User

Council Open Forum before Borderless Cyber USA.)

> That is a big corpus of data

It is not really so big at all.

We found a CSV file of ISO 3166-2 at

  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lukes/ISO-3166-Countries-with-Regional-Codes/master/all/all.csv

and it was a matter of two hours of development to create

a UI where a user can select the country name and

then the system present the administrative area in

human understandable name for the user to select,

then to put the information (country code in ISO-3166-1 Alpha-2

and administrative area in ISO-3166-2) in STIX.

Regards,

Ryu