Subject: Way forward with the Event SDO

All,

Given some of the extremely prolific conversations that have happened recently (mostly on Slack, but also in email) about the Event SDO, we’re going to take a slightly different approach to this object.

It seems clear from the conversations that not everyone is in agreement on what we’re attempting to model, so trying to determine if the draft SDO we have will work poses a challenge. Many different stages or types of objects have been proposed, from an alert/event, to an investigation, to a collection/grouping, to a post-IR type reporting mechanism. That being said, we need to come to some sort of agreement on WHAT we’re trying to represent before we can determine if we’re doing in the right way.

The co-chairs believe it would be valuable to do a reset on this object. We should take a step back from where we have been and come to a better understanding of where we need to be. We are in no way going to throw out any of the work that has already been done. We want to have a focused conversation about what end-to-end work flows people are currently using that fall into this realm, starting from something as simple as a logline, and going to as far down the analysis and notification chain as we need to get. Once we have a better understanding of what people already do, and what workflows they are looking to use STIX to accomplish, we’ll have a much clearer picture about what objects we need to accomplish that. We may wind up needing a bunch of different objects, we may wind up being able to do it all in one. Some of these objects may wind up in STIX 2.1, some may be part of future releases. The point is that until we fully understand what people need and want, we can’t know for sure which it will be.

That being said, we are soliciting use cases.

  • What are you and your organizations trying to accomplish in this realm?
  • How does your workflow move?
  • What types of tools/devices/out-of-band methods do you currently use to accomplish it?
  • Which of those would you like to be able to do via STIX?

You are welcome to send your responses to the mailing list, but we would also like to encourage people to draw them in a tool that we already have going for this very purpose. You can find the drawing board here: https://sketchboard.me/NABpoAKZidJA#. If you would like to access this (and we highly encourage you to do so), you’ll need to email Jason Keirstead ( Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com ) with your gmail account and he can give you edit permissions.

I don’t want anyone to get discouraged by this email. As stated, we’re not planning to throw away any of the work we’ve already accomplished, and when all is said and done, we may discover that what we already have works perfectly. We just want to make sure we have given every workflow the consideration it deserves and that whatever we come up with will work for as many organizations as possible.

Thanks,

Sarah Kelley

Senior Cyber Threat Analyst

Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC)

31 Tech Valley Drive

East Greenbush, NY 12061

sarah.kelley@cisecurity.org

518-266-3493

24x7 Security Operations Center

SOC@cisecurity.org - 1-866-787-4722

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . . . .