Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [EXT] Re: [cti-stix] Feedback on Malware Object

It is also about making sure as best as possible that what we do is useable and implementable by the market.  In addition if we do not do this now then it would represent a significant breaking change in the future.  It is one thing to add bits as we go along, it is another to not get the basic structure right.

Bret

Sent from my Commodore 64

PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050

On Sep 14, 2017, at 2:48 PM, Struse, Richard J. <rjs@mitre.org> wrote:

Crawl. Walk. Run.

We need to remember that we are trying to build a solid foundation that we can build upon here and just because it would be great if we did 100% of what is possible, that doesn’t mean we can or should in STIX 2.1. This is about striking the right balance.

From: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Bret Jordan <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>
Date: Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM
To: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I think we could sweet talk people around issue 1..  But item 5 is really important for STIX Malware. As it currently stands there is no real way to understand the dynamic analysis, which type of system generated it, how that virtual environment was configured, and what it actually applies to.  In defense of item 5, we knew this might be an issue.  But we decided to get something put together in the minigroup and then see if this was really an issue.

This is a significant issue for us, and given the sheer volume of STIX Malware content that we could potential create for the eco-system, I would hope that the minigroup and STIX SC would consider this feedback from our internal teams and work through how we can address this.

Bret