Subject: Re: [openc2-imple] RE: [Non-DoD Source] [openc2-imple] STIX COA Roadmap

I think I should clarify my statement For automated COAs, the group discussed using OpenC2 if the timelines align.“

I meant that if STIX COA is being targeted for 2.1 which is being wrapped up soon, that timeline doesn’t align with OpenC2’s formal release. Having said that, as per the design being worked out in the google doc, the COA will still have an optional property for openc2 as a placeholder. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks,

Jyoti

Technical Leader,

CTO office Security Business Group,

Cisco Systems Inc.

From: <openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of "Kemp, David P" <dpkemp@radium.ncsc.mil>
Date: Friday, September 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM
To: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, "openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org" <openc2-imple@lists.oasis-open.org>

I have no objections to the list of 5 features to pursue.   It looks like a great list.

Re Jyoti’s “For automated COAs, the group discussed using OpenC2 if the timelines align.“:   I’d like to reiterate the discussion on OpenC2 IC SC slack – there is no inconsistency or mismatch between the capabilities of the current OpenC2 and the ability to support those 5 features, or any future set of COA features.   Those features can be supported whenever the evolving COA language (bash/python/etc near-term, potentially a to-be-developed COA-specific DSL longer term) can do so.  OpenC2 is used for the atomic M2M actions specified in the COA.  With a suitable “notification” actuator profile OpenC2 might also be used to support some non-automated actions, but that is not it’s primary focus.

Dave