Subject: Re: [cti-stix] "Assertion" object and Working Call

I will not be able to make the working call as I continue to be buried.

I would like to restate that while I agree with the importance of supporting the use cases that Jason has raised for this object, I strongly disagree with the structural approach currently being taken.

Making this a specific property (on specific SDOs) with a specific type that lists specific sorts of asserted categorizations we are painting ourselves into a corner that will be very difficult to back out of.

While some might characterize this as the simple approach for now I would disagree. I think it is a much more complex approach.

Making Assertion an SDO and making all of the different kinds of categorization assertions extension types that can be hung from an Assertion we make this far more flexible and future-proof and far more efficient.

I know that my cries are falling on deaf ears and will likely be ignored but I felt it important to once more make this opinion explicit.

I have high confidence that this will require significant work arounds for real-world users in real-world scenarios as things get more complex.

I believe this will require revisiting and revision in the future.

</my_two_cents>

Sean Barnum

Principal Architect

FireEye