Subject: RE: [cti-stix] FW: Suspicious Activity Object

Agree Sarah, somewhat.

The object seems like a hybrid of Incident/Event, "Group", and Intrusion Set. This is the challenge i have, it seems like it is trying to do 3 jobs.

If the object is just trying to describe an Incident, then I would argue a lot of these fields should not be there, or at the very least should be aligned with Intrusion Set, because right now there is confusing overlap.

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM Security Cloud
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown

From:        "Kelley, Sarah E." <skelley@mitre.org>
To:        Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, "Katz, Gary" <gary.katz.ctr@dc3.mil>
Cc:        "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Struse, Richard J." <rjs@mitre.org>
Date:        07/24/2018 08:41 AM
Sent by:        <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

To me this object seems a lot closer to Incident/Event than it does to an intrusion set. It looks like itâs trying to describe a specific instance of suspicious activity, rather than an ongoing, long-term grouping of activity/SDOs. That being said, we worked on Incident/Event for a long time without being able to drive the conversation to a successful conclusion, at which point we agreed to punt it until after 2.1.

This seems like it could be a good candidate for the STIX enhancement process, which I realize is still ill defined. Perhaps the focus should be on finalizing the enhancement process so that suggestions like this can be run through that process to see how they might work.

Thanks,

Sarah Kelley
Lead Cybersecurity Engineer, T8B2
Defensive Operations