Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII Conformance - proposed language

Hi Mark & all -

I have copied the OASIS TAB (Technical Advisory Board) on my reply as the group has done a lot of work (and continues to do a lot of work) on helping TCs craft conformance clauses. The TAB maintains a document with guidelines on how to draft conformance clauses that may be useful here: http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html

You might want to talk with them a bit and consider spelling out conformance clauses in a bit more detail. Here's why: the conformance clauses are intended to act as a litmus test - a set of yes/no questions if you will - that an implementer can check off in order to know whether or not they can claim conformance to the Committee Specification / OASIS Standard. That is important because the OASIS patent protections specifically apply to conforming implementations.

As you say, the clauses do not change in any way the requirements in the specification. They simply act as the checklist for conforming implementations. So that is the way I would think about them.

Best,

/chet