Subject: RE: [cti-stix] Re: [cti-taxii] Fwd: Proposal - Allow a client to request an object based on its ID

All,

As I consider the discussion on these lists, it strikes me that there is probably a fundamental dependency on a decision (or decisions) that have yet to be identified on-list. For instance, I like Terry’s suggestion that “Query by ID” be specifically called out as a use case that we solve. However, I have a hard time thinking through any potential solution(s) because I get stuck on where it “fits” – is it TAXII 2.0 / STIX 2.0, TAXII 1.x / STIX 1.x, or something else? And if “Query by ID” (for instance) fits best in STIX 2.x / TAXII 2.x, what direction are those efforts headed in? They are blank slates, at least in terms of this group’s shared understanding – I’m sure plenty of people have good ideas that just need to be socialized.

The heart of what I’m saying is this: I have a hard time conceptualizing the discussions on this list without knowing the direction of STIX/TAXII/CybOX. Therefore, at least for me, the version of STIX/TAXII/CybOX we are working on, plus the direction of that particular version, seems to be the fundamental discussion we ought to be having.

It’s no secret that we all have fundamental changes we’d like to see in a major revision of STIX/TAXII/CybOX, but we do not – as a group – have a consensus direction that we are driving toward. Without that consensus direction, it will be difficult to have a productive discussion about particular features or use cases, because any decision might end up being fundamentally altered by higher level decisions made later on. So let’s make the higher level decisions first.

I’ll close by encouraging the group to think at a very high level about STIX, TAXII, and CybOX. Where should these efforts be headed? Are fundamental changes indeed necessary, or should we instead focus on incremental progress? Or, to take a slightly different perspective, pick your favorite proposal and attempt to think through a solution; what dependencies does that solution have and what assumptions do you make? Those dependencies and assumptions are the higher level issues the group should be thinking about.

Thank you.

-Mark

PS – I’ve added the CybOX and CTI lists because I think my message is applicable to both. My apologies for those of you that might receive this email in quadruplicate.