Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] Channel Ideas

I think this is one of the areas where we really need to coordinate across subcommittees.

In my mind, “content agnostic transport” is (generally) a property of a protocol. HTTP, SMTP, et al do not specify many content requirements beyond providing mechanisms for negotiating/asserting the content format (See: Content-Type and Accept HTTP Headers). As mentioned on the kick-off call, I think a “non-goal” we should adopt is “don’t design a new protocol”. Ideally we should be able to natively use some already existing protocol and build on top of that. In the TAXII 1.x world, this would mean moving toward native HTTP.

You are correct to point out that this new concept will probably require specifying some subset/derivative/whatever of STIX for specific messages and use cases. I don’t really know how that’s going to turn out, but I do know the solution will involve plenty of coordination across SC’s to make sure we are all designing to the same goal.

To answer your question directly:

> After all, in the spirit of "doing one thing well", should we really be designing TAXII to carry *any* type of data, when we are really concerned with only one type of data?

Being content-agnostic is a fundamental assumption of TAXII 1.x, and it is one that we should be investigating to determine whether it is still valid. It is completely within the power of this group to determine that content-agnosticism is no longer a goal. My $.02 is that we should be moving toward TAXII as a domain-specific use of existing technology to solve information sharing, and that probably requires some degree of being non-agnostic (I couldn’t find a good antonym.. gnostic?).

Thank you.

-Mark