Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Vision Statement for TAXII

The only thing I will mention is this - I fully endorse the idea of TAXII doing only #2, precluding CTI query.

I think it's important to consider this when forming this vision statement. Notice that the current vision statement under proposal, does not actually imply that it must implement query functionality, so, maybe it doesn't. But if TAXII includes CTI query, then doing #2 without binding to STIX will make a very complex/poor query implementation (see TAXII 1.X...), because if you want to query data, you need to know what is actually included in that data in the first place.

This is actually why I propose that we separate CTI query from TAXII, or perhaps make query a very distinct protocol that can have different implementations based on the transit content type.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Jordan, Bret" ---2015/09/17 11:56:44 AM---Pat, These are super great points.  And yes, those represe"Jordan, Bret" ---2015/09/17 11:56:44 AM---Pat, These are super great points. And yes, those represent the fundamental questions at hand.. Le

From: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
To: Patrick Maroney <Pmaroney@Specere.org>
Cc: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@mitre.org>, Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@gmail.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>, Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Date: 2015/09/17 11:56 AM

Pat,

These are super great points. And yes, those represent the fundamental questions at hand.. Let me re-phrase:

1) Should TAXII understand and work on STIX elements and possible interact with the STIX elements directly?

2) Should TAXII just be a transport of CTI in an authenticated and secure way?

Terry's proposal to the group is #2 and I started out thinking that we should do #1 but have since started leaning toward #2. With the #2 model, the idea is that in the application stack, TAXII just transmits the packages back and forth. There would be another layer in the application stack that actually did things with STIX, but that would be outside of the scope for TAXII. The vision statement we have been working on, following #2.

Now if anyone things TAXII should work on, interact with, and do things directly with STIX, please speak up. But everything we have heard in the past is that we want to keep them separate. People have not wanted TAXII doing STIX stuff..

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP
Blue Coat Systems
PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447 F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050
[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM]