Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] Vision Statement for TAXII

All,

It seems that we have – roughly speaking – aligned on a vision statement for TAXII. This rough alignment means that while certain words might change over time, the overall meaning and direction of the vision statement seems acceptable to most.

As a point of order, this does not mean the vision statement is set in stone – rather, we all generally agree that it represents our thinking at the current time. A number of things can trigger changes, including new questions, new perspectives, and new opinions.

I have documented the vision statement on the TAXII2 landing page: http://taxiiproject.github.io/taxii2/.

You will notice the open question included there. Over time, I anticipate the “Vision Statement” section growing to possibly include scope, purpose, and mission (depending on what we think we need). If there are other open questions about the vision statement, I will add them.

There have been some other questions raised today. I think they are good questions that apply somewhere other than the vision. Those questions are:

·         Is query in or out of scope for TAXII? (IMO – scoping discussion)

·         What is the value-add for TAXII? (IMO – purpose statement)

I had mentioned earlier that we can work on a scoping discussion next. After some thought, it might be better to have a little change-of-pace, do a lookahead at a technical aspect (The slack channel has iterated on a REST design that has enough substance to discuss), then come back to the purpose/scope topics. This will give the vision discussion some time to settle.

TL;DR

·         There seems to be rough consensus on the vision (noting one open question); does this seem right?

·         For a change of pace, our next topic will be a technical look-ahead look at a REST design.

Thank you.

-Mark