Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] Question about multiple trust group support

I don't believe anything management-related (creating groups, adding/removing people from groups, making channels, subscribing people to channels) should be part of the TAXII spec.

This is all highly implementation specific, and has nothing to do with a CTI data transfer protocol.

TAXII should not be not an extension to LDAP - lets leave this task to protocols designed from the ground-up to handle enterprise-grade user and group management.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/09/29 09:50:20 AM---I agree that groups are important. IMO, under the l"Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/09/29 09:50:20 AM---I agree that groups are important. IMO, under the latest proposed concept, trust groups are still a

From: "Davidson II, Mark S" <mdavidson@mitre.org>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA, Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
Cc: "Thompson, Dean" <Dean.Thompson@anz.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/09/29 09:50 AM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

I agree that groups are important. IMO, under the latest proposed concept, trust groups are still a thing and still matter, they are just outside the scope of the TAXII specifications (Note: I assert this specifically so that it can be challenged).

Responding to Jason’s point: I think right now we are partly having a scoping discussion. Earlier, Bret offered (IMO) four good scope labels: Spec, Implementation, Deployment, and Process. I haven’t attempted to label the questions in this way, but perhaps it’s a good way to think about them. We will certainly end up talking through things that are beyond the scope of a spec in order to make sure the spec is sane.

I updated the REST API design per our current discussion [1] (changes: [2]); note that the current proposal is that the API-Base concept forms the boundary around a trust group.

In terms of Terry’s questions:

> What channels the trustgroup offers?
> What type of information is sent on each channel?
[MD] These should be covered by the API already (we haven’t come up with straw-man objects yet; should we do that?)

> How to join a channel?
> How to be approved to access the channel?
> How to post data to the channel?
> How to leave a channel?
[MD] IMO this would be covered under subscriptions (subscribe, unsubscribe); we haven’t totally fleshed out subscriptions yet, I’ve started a discussion on the wiki page

> How to prove their identity?
[MD] IMO this will covered under authentication parts of the spec

> List who is receiving the data sent to the channel?
[MD] No way to do this under the current proposal; maybe it should be added? I would look at this as “list current subscribers” (perhaps just part of a channel-info object?)

> Am I allowed to post data to the channel?
[MD] If you POST and get an HTTP 403 or 501, you are not. Though the API response for channel info could be updated to include this information

> Where else to connect to when the current TAXII server fails?
[MD] Not sure – would this be handled by typical networking techniques for HTTP reliability/availability? E.g., round-robin DNS or failover?

Next, I’ll get to the Trust Group questions

> Where the nearest TAXII server is for a trustgroup
[MD] This concept is not covered in the latest proposal. Is this a requirement?

> How to join a trustgroup
[MD] We haven’t fleshed out whether this is a requirement or how to do it (I’ve subbed out a /management/ portion of the API for exploring this).

> How to prove their identity
[MD] IMO would be covered under authentication parts of the spec

> How to be approved as a trustgroup member
[MD] We haven’t fleshed out whether this is a requirement or how to do it.

At least for me, I think this raises an open question:

Comments/opinions welcome.

Thank you.
-Mark

[1] https://github.com/TAXIIProject/TAXII-Specifications/wiki/HTTP-REST-API-for-TAXII-2.0