Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] RE: Authentication

Hi Rutger - just to add some additional color here.

The reason why a "mandatory to implement" authentication scheme is so that any two random TAXII products can be ensured that they can communicate with each-other. This is actually not the case today with TAXII 1.X as authentication is not included in the standard. As such, there have been very real-world situations where two vendors have implemented TAXII in a compliant fashion, yet they could not share any data, because they didn't both support the same authentication schemes.

This in no way precludes vendors from optionally supporting other methods, for example Client SSL certificate, or Kerberos, or any other mechanism. All it states is "if you are following the TAXII standard, you MUST support these mechanism(s) at a minimum". This way anyone can get two pieces of software who say they "speak TAXII" and know they can talk to each-other without diving into the source code.

As for the HTTP Basic - the reason it was proposed is it was seen as "table stakes" for HTTP authentication and most tool-chains already have this built in. Combined with the fact that SSL would be mandatory, it is relatively secure.

If the concensus is that HTTP Basic is not required we can easily drop it as an MTI scheme.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Davidson II, Mark S" ---10/08/2015 12:58:27 PM---Rutger, I'll try restating your comment in my own w"Davidson II, Mark S" ---10/08/2015 12:58:27 PM---Rutger, I'll try restating your comment in my own words to make sure I understand it: For TAXII Clie

From: "Davidson II, Mark S" <mdavidson@mitre.org>
To: Rutger Prins <rutger@eclecticiq.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 10/08/2015 12:58 PM
Subject: [cti-taxii] RE: Authentication
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

Rutger,

I’ll try restating your comment in my own words to make sure I understand it: For TAXII Clients and Servers that want to use an alternative authentication method, they should be able to.

If that’s the case, I’ll say that I agree and I don’t think it impacts the proposal.

I look at it like this:

IMO, it would be totally acceptable for a TAXII Client and Server to use something completely outside the proposed authentication method.

What do you think?

Thank you.
-Mark