Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] Authentication

The nice thing about saying HTTPS everywhere is the decision as to what to do with self-signed certificates is rightly a matter of local policy.

If I am in a high security, very limited distribution ISAC or C/F/N-TLA government agency, I am going to impose a very stringent X.509 policy, like your certificate must be signed by one of three root CA’s and I will pin your CA and if your root CA changes without you telling me, I will reject the connection.

If I am in a public information distribution ISAO or D-TLA government agency where my remit is to publish information to the world, I will happily accept a self-signed certificate or accept a certificate that you claim to be ICBC (China) but your root CA is DoD (US).

About the only thing we should say here is that implementors may wish to have their products support the appropriate certificate policies and if that policy is a promiscuous one, to PLEASE not pop up a modal dialog box saying someone is trying to connect with a self-signed certificate.