Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] Items in scope vs out of scope

From my perspective - while I think that having QUERY for CTI is a fundamental and necessary use case - I think bundling it in with TAXII creates needless confusion.

Not all use cases for TAXII care about QUERY. And not all use cases that care about QUERY, care about TAXII.

QUERY also has a lot more implicit ties to the data model. TAXII does not need any of these.

I feel that QUERY should be it's own separate API that may even follow a totally different paradigm. It should have it's own, seperate specification - and if needed, even have a different CTI subcommittee created for it.

It's really an entirely different use case. Just because they were shoe-horned together in TAXII 1.X does not mean we can not fork it off now.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/10/16 08:37:12 AM---Trey, One of our stated requirements for TAXII 2 is"Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/10/16 08:37:12 AM---Trey, One of our stated requirements for TAXII 2 is feature parity with TAXII 1.x [1]. To me, that m

From: "Davidson II, Mark S" <mdavidson@mitre.org>
To: Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Cc: "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/10/16 08:37 AM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

Trey,

One of our stated requirements for TAXII 2 is feature parity with TAXII 1.x [1]. To me, that means query has not been scoped out. That said, there is still plenty of conversation to be had about query (e.g., what feature set constitutes 'feature parity' as well as the actual design).

The graphic Bret shared was intended to convey that for any particular discussion there are four high level buckets of "scope" to consider. The graphic was not intended to be a complete list of TAXII 2 features - it only includes items that this SC have discussed so far.

If you (or anyone) have ideas or requirements for query, please share them!

Thank you.
-Mark

[1]
https://github.com/TAXIIProject/TAXII-Specifications/wiki/TAXII-2.0-Requirements