Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] The need (or no need) for TAXII to support Query

As a bit of background, in TAXII 1.1, query was a separate specification [1]. The key reason for the separation was that query was viewed as less mature than the rest of TAXII and a separate specification was a way to encapsulate query functionality.  This way, query could be versioned separately from the rest of TAXII as it matured. In practice this separate revision has not happened. My reason for bringing this up is to identify precedent for query being its own specification, even if the choice was made for different reasons than are currently being discussed.

One of the primary challenges for TAXII query was the inability to tightly bind the query model to a specific version of STIX. This resulted in the Targeting _expression_ concept, which is a way to bind a query to a specific version of STIX. Successful implementation of the Targeting _expression_ effectively requires implementers to have a high degree of communication and coordination – something a spec (IMO) should decrease. There are successful implementations out there, and the ones I know about have a shared characteristic of central planning. While this is manageable, I think it is an area that can be improved for the next iteration of query, whatever form it takes.

Thank you.

-Mark

[1] https://taxiiproject.github.io/releases/1.1/

From: Jason Keirstead [mailto:Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 7:14 AM
To: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
Cc: Davidson II, Mark S <mdavidson@mitre.org>; Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>; Jordan, Bret <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>; cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org

Agree 100% with your vision Terry and I think you expressed the argument better than I.

Now my question is, how to make it a reality :) IE, if STIX is responsible for answering QUERY messages, how does this work...

Presumably, if TAXII 2.0 was a REST service, then you would want QUERY 2.0 to be a REST service as well so that servers who have TAXII can also run a QUERY endpoint on the same port.

So that is feasible, but the question is, how do we come up with the specification for this service. Is this something for the STIX SC? Or a "QUERY" SC?

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Terry MacDonald ---2015/10/17 01:22:25 AM---Hi All, Just splitting this out into its own thread so weTerry MacDonald ---2015/10/17 01:22:25 AM---Hi All, Just splitting this out into its own thread so we can all keep track :)