Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] The need (or no need) for TAXII to support Query

Hi Ron; I think where we're deviating here is this statement:

"... it would be a service attached to STIX, which is what TAXII is."

We're trying very hard to not bind TAXII to STIX, hence this discussion about splitting QUERY off as a separate work product.

Having QUERY as part of TAXII core would imply a lot of things - not the least of which is that all producers of CTI also must act as a CTI repository, which is simply not the case. That's why we are trying to be very deliberate here and separate QUERY from the core of TAXII, which is the live or near-live transmission of intelligence.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Ron Williams" ---2015/10/19 01:48:55 PM---I disagree. STIX is an information format - TAXII is the s"Ron Williams" ---2015/10/19 01:48:55 PM---I disagree. STIX is an information format - TAXII is the service that (may) deliver(s) it. A Query S

From: "Ron Williams" <Ron.Williams@us.ibm.com>
To: Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>, "Davidson II, Mark S" <mdavidson@mitre.org>, Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/10/19 01:48 PM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

I disagree. STIX is an information format - TAXII is the service that (may) deliver(s) it. A Query Service should be part of the transport, not the data format. It's the natural place for it to exist. Adding a Query Service to STIX wouldn't be STIX, it would be a service attached to STIX, which is what TAXII is.

Cheers!

~r

ron.williams@us.ibm.com | stsm, ibm master inventor | chief architect, infrastructure protection | divisional idt lead | ibm | mobile +1.512.633.7711 | ofc +1.720.349.2236
羅恩·威廉姆斯 | 首席架構師基礎設施保護 | IBM安全

"It is much less dangerous to think like a man of action, than to act like a man of thought."
- Nicholas Nassim Taleb

Inactive hide details for "Jason Keirstead" ---10/19/2015 13:17:47---Agree 100% with your vision Terry and I think you expresse"Jason Keirstead" ---10/19/2015 13:17:47---Agree 100% with your vision Terry and I think you expressed the argument better than I.