Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] The need (or no need) for TAXII to support Query

From the discussion so far, I’ve heard different viewpoints on:

·         What TAXII Query should actually look like

·         Where/how TAXII Query and TAXII Channels should be defined (e.g., same spec, different specs, different SCs)

I think having a rough design for TAXII Query would help the group reach a shared understanding on the above topics. To that end, Bret and I (we spoke offline) would like to propose that we build a strawman TAXII Query. The goal of the exercise would be to come up with a shared understanding of how TAXII Query fits into our work and what dependencies it has; the ability to use the strawman design as a foundation for a future TAXII Query would be a secondary benefit and not necessarily a requirement.

Trey, I’d like to take you up on your offer to share your REST API as a strawman; it would be a great start to the conversation.

Thank you.

-Mark

From: Jordan, Bret [mailto:bret.jordan@bluecoat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:55 AM
To: Trey Darley <trey@SOLTRA.COM>
Cc: Davidson II, Mark S <mdavidson@mitre.org>; Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>; Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>; cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks for the insight in to what you all need.  I think your view is very similar to what I would like to see. Structurally I am just calling it something different...

<me personally, not as co-chair>

I would like to see three work products be delivered out of the TAXII SC.

1) TAXII Specification for transporting CTI

            HTTPS

            REST

            HTTP Basic + JWT

            Extension Points for other authentication system

            And possible a few other minor things here and there

2) A Query Specification that plugs in to the TAXII REST API

            HTTPS

            REST

3) Build a getting started guide to add some context around how you might build a storage repository for TAXII. Most of this would be implementation or deployment specific and not specification related, but I think it would be good to help people understand from those of us that think about TAXII all day long, how we envision it working.

Query would be Optional to implement.  However, if you do implement it, it would look and feel like it belongs, not like it was patched in as a secondary after thought.
</off soap box>

What something like this be acceptable to everyone?  Please push back.

Thanks,

Bret

Bret Jordan CISSP

Blue Coat Systems