Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII Architecture

" I can’t think of any “brokers” that wouldn’t reasonably also be a “repository”."

I agree that I can not see many vendors writing a broker-only software suite, HOWEVER I can see many clients running broker-only configurations at numerous positions of their network, including the edge. At those locations the software would be configured with repository disabled and should respond as such to a discovery msg...

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Mark Davidson ---12/16/2015 08:22:14 AM---Here is a thought I'll throw out there. There will be TAXIIMark Davidson ---12/16/2015 08:22:14 AM---Here is a thought I'll throw out there. There will be TAXII Servers that implement the broker and re

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
To: Trey Darley <trey@soltra.com>, "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>
Cc: "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 12/16/2015 08:22 AM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

Here is a thought I'll throw out there.

There will be TAXII Servers that implement the broker and repository functionality. I see these systems as the ones that will be attempting to facilitate exchange of information across systems/organizations. I can’t think of any “brokers” that wouldn’t reasonably also be a “repository”.

On the other hand, I can picture repositories that are hampered by broker requirements. A Threat Analyst workbench or SIEM might want to expose their threat information using  the TAXII repository concept (and perhaps even interact with a broker), but have no desire to facilitate the exchange of information across other systems/organizations via the broker concept.

To that end, maybe there are (notionally) two conformance clauses?

1. A TAXII Server implements both the broker and repository functionality.
2. A TAXII Repository implements only the repository functionality (we’d have to have some rule that maybe the broker side gives back an HTTP 501 - Not Implemented)

If this approach is taken, I would like to consider requiring or suggesting that only TAXII Servers are advertised in DNS and that TAXII Repositories are not.

This does go slightly against my desire to have a ‘TAXII' mean a single rigid thing, but I think there are systems out there that will want to offer a TAXII interface and not be a broker, and I view those systems as important to the overall threat sharing ecosystem.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
-Mark

www.soltra.com