Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII Architecture

I concur.

Do not concur at all with the shift to "Repositories" as a Must TAXII functionality.

TAXII should remain narrowly and specifically spec'd as the "Transport" Layer/Mechanism for CTI Inter-Exchange of STIX Packages.
Section 5.2.1  of the current normative standard "got it right" from my perspective:

5.2.1 TAXII is Content Agnostic

The TAXII specifications do not provide details about the underlying content formats of records within TAXII. All content formats are a "black-box" as far as TAXII is concerned - none of the behaviors required to process TAXII at the message level require inspection of any information stored within message content. While TAXII Back-ends can have very different processing paths and requirements for different types of informationTAXII Services, Messages, and Exchanges are agnostic as to the information they convey. This allows TAXII to be usable for a wide array of sharing scenarios.

I suggest that there are:

TAXII Clients (AKA "TAXII Backends")
TAXII Gateways

A CTI Repository (which I do absolutely agree is a valuable component to add to the CTI Family of standards) should be a completely separate component of the CTI Standards

Patrick Maroney
Office:  (856)983-0001
Cell:      (609)841-5104

President
Integrated Networking Technologies, Inc.
PO Box 569
Marlton, NJ 08053