Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII Architecture

I learned from a conversation offline (and seen reinforced in this conversation) that the term repository might have a connotation about defining/requiring a particular backend technology. So far, the term repository has been intended to represent an interface into a repository (e.g., defining URLs, methods, etc) but not define how that content is stored or retrieved. If this is the case generally – that the term repository has a connotation that makes understanding more difficult – I think we can explore other terms (repository interface?).

TAXII should be easy to understand, and this starts with the terminology that we use to describe our high level concepts.

Thank you.
-Mark

From: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>, Eric Burger <ewb25@georgetown.edu> on behalf of Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 11:28 AM
To: "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is highlighting why I think we should be focusing on the protocol and not the implementation. Yes, the implementation will inform the protocol, but the point of focusing on what needs to be traded, instead of how it gets stored, enables people to innovate in their implementations and come up with cool and novel things to do.

Case in point: the purpose of HTTP 0.9 was to transfer academic papers with references from here to there. So, a protocol that enables you to address a paper (URL), suck it down (HTTP), and even have that paper point to other papers (embedded URL’s in HTML) that could be sucked down with the same addressing (URL) and protocol (HTTP) was great, but by not focusing on how those documents got stored, manipulated, or retrieved, enabled dynamic web pages, SOAP, REST, and a whole host of things not envisioned in 1994.