Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII Architecture

I would think that if a TAXII client issued some type of query and the server replied with a 501 response code that would be sufficient to say that the server does not support the query protocol (IE is not a repository)

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for Mark Davidson ---12/16/2015 12:42:15 PM---One key difference between OASIS specs and other specs (e.gMark Davidson ---12/16/2015 12:42:15 PM---One key difference between OASIS specs and other specs (e.g., IETF) is that we can have multiple con

From: Mark Davidson <mdavidson@soltra.com>
To: Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 12/16/2015 12:42 PM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

One key difference between OASIS specs and other specs (e.g., IETF) is that we can have multiple conformance clauses. In one document we could have a conformance clause for a “TAXII Repo” and another conformance clause for a “TAXII Broker”.

There is a lot of flexibility in how we define these things relate to each other (different conformance clauses, different work products, etc). Personally, and I suspect this is an underlying factor in the discussion, I think that Broker and Repository in all likelihood would be implemented as entirely different software systems that may or may not be packaged into the same product.

I view the attempt to say “MUST implement both” as a test. I think it would be better for interoperability and make writing TAXII Clients easier if there was only one type of software that could be a “TAXII Server”. The test is whether this forces untenable requirements onto server implementers (i.e., you must get great gas mileage AND be able to tow 10,000 lbs).

So far I’m hearing plenty of arguments for optionality (an OR instead of an AND). I can be on board with “OR" as long as there is a reasonable solution for interoperability. Assuming we went with an “OR”, how would a TAXII Client detect what type of server it was interacting with, and how would users of TAXII Clients determine which pieces fit together? We should avoid the scenario where an end-user attempts to plug a TAXII Broker Client into a TAXII Repo Server and doesn’t understand why they don’t work together

Thank you.
-Mark