Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] TAXII 2.0 transport specification

To most people, saying “Do TLS” sounds like you’ve said what you need to say. Unfortunately, because there are so many options, we do need to specify what the minimum is, otherwise we will not have interoperability.

Given the Internet is not the safe place it used to be, I could neither endorse either a non-interoperable protocol (not going beyond TLS) nor endorse a protocol that demands the server provide secure transport.

On Jan 15, 2016, at 9:15 AM, Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

I still wonder if going to the depth level of specifying things as malleable as SSL implementation is the best idea for TAXII

As we have all seen over the past two years, "minimum best practice" changes at the drop of a hat. Heck, SSL best practice has high potential to change between now and when TAXII 2.0 is finalized.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

<graycol.gif>Terry MacDonald ---01/14/2016 06:31:01 PM---Hi Eric and list, I'd personally be concerned with following an NSA recommended standard. I

From: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@threatloop.com>
To: Eric Burger <Eric.Burger@georgetown.edu>
Cc: cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 01/14/2016 06:31 PM
Sent by: <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Eric and list,

I'd personally be concerned with following an NSA recommended standard. I think it would *potentially* impact whether the rest of the international community adopt the standard. I would prefer that we follow some recommendations from international experts that have inputs from multiple different nationalities and teams, so that we are not overly reliant on any one country.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald
| STIX, TAXII, CybOX Consultant

M: +61-407-203-026
E: terry.macdonald@threatloop.com
W: www.threatloop.com

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this email do not represent the sentiment of any other party except my own. My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Threatloop.com.